Nigeria’s Covid-19 Survival, Ayodeji Oluwaseun Osowobi Recount Ordeal

Ayodeji Oluwaseun Osowobi, founder of Stand to End Rape (STER), says she thought she would die from coronavirus after testing positive for the killer virus on two different occasions.

The Nigerian activist disclosed this in a series of tweets on Monday while recounting her battle with the novel disease and how she eventually overcame it.

Osowobi said she first tested positive for the COVID-19 shortly after returning to the country from the UK where she had attended a commonwealth event.

The development, she said, made her lose several important appointments, including a contract worth millions.

Osowobi also narrated the various challenges she had to go through to get the necessary treatment — starting with a delay in getting the result of test conducted on her by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

The graduate of development studies from Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) in Zaria also pointed out that she thought she would lose her life at some points, with things appearing unbearable.

“I thought I was going to die & contemplated a succession plan for @StandtoEndRape. I was on drugs daily. Sometimes, I‘d take 8 tablets in the morning, 13 tablets in the afternoon, 10 at night,” she wrote, in company of pictures taken at the Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba.

“My system threw everything out! Water, food, soap & all disgusted me. But I’d look at the wall & force myself to stay hydrated — drank. I fought to live! I fought.”

She added that her anxiety increased two days after doctors declared that she had tested negative for the virus but refused to discharge her.

Her hope of leaving the hospital would later be dashed after the doctors said she had once more tested positive for the virus.

“I was unsure of what was going on. Why haven’t I been discharged? Should I be in the same ward? Could I get reinfected? I was worried but remained calm. On the the third day, doctors said, “well, we worked with the info we had of you testing negative, but one result came back positive,” she added.

Osowobi said she was eventually discharged after further tests conducted on her showed she was negative for the virus for the second time.

“Today, I am proud to inform you that I murdered COVID-19 and have tested negative twice! I have been discharged,” she wrote.

She went on to encourage those infected with the virus not to consider it a death sentence, noting that her experience was indicative that people can indeed survive it.

“Coronavirus is NOT a death sentence. People can survive and I have,” she said.

“We should encourage people to get tested & stop the stigma. Practise social distancing and stop the spread. @NCDCgov& state governments need to improve their testing capacity. Test mild/asymptomatic cases too. Sending strength to everyone who is fighting to beat #COVID19.”


Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here